Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day Tribute

 I wanted to take a moment and express my feelings of gratitude to the two mothers in my life. First, my mother. When I think back on my life my mother has always been there. I remember her being there when I was sick. I always felt better knowing that my mom was there to take care of me. She has held me when I needed her at the expense of getting vomited on. She has wiped my nose and my tears many times, wiped my forehead with a cool washcloth. There is one time that I remember being so sick and my mom was gone for some reason. My sisters took care of me as good as they could, but I remember feeling that I might live when my mom walked into the room. I really missed my mom when I was sick at college. I needed her to take care of me. I called her in the middle of the night one time because I couldn't stop coughing.
 One good thing about not having a dad around was that I had a whole side of the bed to sleep in if I got scared. I remember crawling into her bed to sleep next to her when I got scared.
 My mother kept a very clean house and now that I am a mother I don't know how she did it. We did not have a lot of money growing up but my mother worked hard and went without her whole life, and because of that I never felt deprived. My mom said "no" when she needed to and at the time I thought it wasn't fair, that she didn't trust me, and I could not see her logic. Now that I have children of my own I know that saying "no" was another way of saying "I love you."
 My mother also makes an awesome grandmother. She loves my kids and my kids love her. She always brings little gifts for them when she comes. My mother is not perfect, just like I am a flawed mother myself, and she has been through a lot of heartache, but through it all she has always shown love to me and my family. She has passed on her testimony of the gospel to me. I have come to know my Savior a little better because I know her. I love you Mom!
The second mother in my life is my mother-in-law, Karen. I can say that I know how Ruth felt about Naomi. Karen has shown me nothing but love for me and my family. I can say I am the luckiest daughter-in-law. I scored in the in-law department. She has always treated me like I was one of her own. She also raised a pretty great son. Dallin is a wonderful father and husband because of the way his mother raised him. She is also a pretty great grandma. She is always so calm and happy around my kids. She showers them with love and she is always ready to help when needed. She is one of the most selfless people I know. I feel that I could tell her anything and she wouldn't judge me. I love you, Karen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You truly "lucked out" in the mother in law and father in law department. I prayed that my children would get good in laws. Mom

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your kind words. I treasure the times we had together after everyone left the nest. My life would have been very dull and lonely without you (and Mandy) there to keep me going. Mom