Saturday, January 26, 2008

Little Alaska in Salmon

















Dallin and I went for a drive today. We drove to North Fork about 20 minutes away from Salmon and along the way we saw a lot of wildlife. We drove down there because they are having what we call an "ice jam" and there is a lot of flooding. I didn't know what an ice jam was until I moved here. So for those of you who don't know, an ice jam is when the river freezes and there is no place for the water to go so it floods the surrounding areas and often creates frozen cragginess everywhere...I'm hoping you all know what I mean by cragginess. The river basically looks like white water rapids except that it doesn't move...because it's frozen, along with flooding in surrounding areas. The river also carves cool little tunnels under the ice and snow and makes miniature icebergs. Here are a couple pictures of little Alaska in Salmon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. that is totally crazy. i've never seen anything like it. cool pictures.

been thinking of starting a blog today. getting bored trying to pick out colors and stuff. and the pressure to be witty might be too much :)

Jen said...

DO IT!!!!! I kinda get bored too picking out colors. I finally just say to myself, "You know they all pretty much look okay." And there's no pressure to be witty because what you lack in wittiness you'll make up for in coolness.